We have used our previous experience and input from centres to develop a comprehensive suite of new qualifications that address the diverse needs of Entry Level learners, including those with learning difficulties and disabilities.
The Houses of Commons Education Committee's 2019 report on 'Special educational needs and disabilities' highlighted the need to acknowledge the real achievements of learners which have often been neglected. We have designed our qualifications to help learners reach meaningful individual targets, develop independent living and work skills and gain confidence. They are available at Entry Level 1,2 and 3 and in four sizes: Award, Certificate, Extended Certificate and Diploma.
The new qualifications offer a broader, more flexible alternative to our existing Independent Living qualifications, which will be withdrawn with effect from 31st July 2021.
- Our new qualifications are flexible in nature, enabling training providers to build a personalised qualification to meet the needs of an individual learner.
- We have organised the qualifications into six groups of units with the aim of enhancing learners’ independence and enabling them to explore vocational and other meaningful avenues.
- Provide progression from Entry Level 1 to Entry Level 3 for those with lower level literacy, numeracy and employability skills.
- Learners successfully attaining one award can easily pursue a further award at the same, or a different level, or progress to a larger qualification from the suite offered.
- The qualifications provide a foundation for lifelong learning by focusing on transferable skills that are essential for living and working in the community.
Who are these qualifications suitable for?
- Entry Level learners
- Those who have learning difficulties and disabilities
- ESOL pre-entry learners
- 9-credit Awards (90 GLH) at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3
- 18-credit Certificates ((180 GLH) at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3
- 27-credit Extended Certificates (270 GLH) at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3
- 37-credit Diplomas (370 GLH) at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3
These qualifications are ESFA (Education and Skills Funding Agency) funded, approved for learners aged 16-19 and 19+, and appear on the Section 96 register.
Suite of Skills for Independence and Employability qualifications