What is OPT – the OCN London ePortfolio Tool?
An ePortfolio is a system that enables a range of media - covering text, audio, photos and video – to be stored digitally.
Collecting evidence for assessment can be a time-consuming process. Tutors, assessors and moderators within our centres have expressed a need for something that takes the stress out of assessment and reduces paperwork. Today’s IT-savvy learners also want to be able to submit their work electronically, from desktop computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones.
We have developed our own ePortfolio Tool (OPT) which is being offered FREE to all OCN London centres. It is very simple to use and requires no training.
What makes OPT different from other ePortfolio Tools?
- Learner folders, units, learning outcomes and assessment criteria are all pre-populated by OCN London at registration. The system is ready to use without any configuration necessary by the centre.
- No need to manage learners' user accounts.
- It requires no training. All you have to do is follow simple instructions.
- It is FREE to all OCN London centres.
- No software to install.
- Saves time when collecting evidence.
- Saves money – less paper, less postage and reduced travel costs.
- Increases efficiency.
- Accessible any time 24/7.
- Secure and reliable.
Candidates and learners:
- can upload their work in different formats – from desktop computers, laptops, tablets and mobiles.
- can access their work view their own individual tracking sheet.
- can receive feedback and view progress online.
- can log evidence and map it against learning outcomes/assessment criteria.
- can log evidence in different formats - videos, audio, photographic or paper-based.
- can receive immediate feedback from the tutor, viewable online.
Tutors, managers and assessors:
- will be able to see which learners have submitted work (and which have not).
- will find it easier to check the progress of learners, showing which outcomes and criteria have been met.
- will be able to see a summary list of evidence awaiting their assessment online.
- will be able to provide feedback to learners online that they can access easily.
- will be able to use the e-portfolio in whatever way they wish to support their existing process rather than making them change how they work.
- won’t need to take part in any user training as the ePortfolio Tool can be
used straight away by following simple instructions.
Moderators (internal and external):
- will be able to conduct assessments and verification online without needing to be on site or visit the centre.
- Cloud-based – means that folders are automatically generated.
- Powered by Google Drive. Learners, tutors and assessors can securely store and manage work, assessment materials, tracking sheets and other evidence through their internet browser.
- Allows the storage of electronic evidence such as video, sound files or photographs in one place.
- More reliable and secure than paper-based assessment as data is secured safely ‘in the cloud’.
- No manual naming of folders by staff is required. Individual folders are named after learners and units are registered with OCN London by centres. Once learners are registered on a course the system can do the rest.
- Accessible to anyone providing they have internet access and are part of an OCN London centre.